If you must dispose of waste while visiting the island, here’s what you need to know:
- Visitors should use roadside rubbish and recycling collection services, drop off recyclables to Anamata Community Recycling Centre and deliver rubbish to Aotea Transfer Station during opening hours, or take their waste away and dispose of it responsibly on the mainland.
- Gate fees apply to waste dropped off at the Aotea Transfer Station, located at 70 Gray Road, Claris. Official council rubbish bags can be dropped off at no extra charge.
Anamata Community Recycling Centre is located at 66C Gray Road, Claris. Sorted recycling can be dropped off for free.
Roadside rubbish collection
- Use the weekly roadside rubbish collection service for council rubbish bags or rubbish bins (if available at your accommodation)
- Place out on collection day, before 8am.
- You can buy official council rubbish bags from the Aotea / Great Barrier Service Centre from Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm. They are closed from midday 23 December 2022 to 8 January 2023 inclusive.
- 40-litre bags cost $4.00
- 60-litre bags cost $5.30
- 60-litre council rubbish bags may also be available for purchase from these outlets. Prices may vary:
- Stonewall Store - 82 Blackwell Drive, Tryphena
- Port Fitzroy General Store - 2070 Aotea Road, Port Fitzroy
- Claris Store - 129 Hector Sanderson Road, Claris
Roadside recycling collection
- Use the yellow 60-litre recycling crates, if available at your accommodation, to sort your plastic, glass, aluminium, and tins.
- Flatten all paper and cardboard, then bundle securely, and place next to the recycling crates on the roadside on collection day.
- A total of 120 litres (two recycling crates' worth) of mixed recyclables (plastic, metal, and glass) can be placed out each week, along with the equivalent (two recycling crates' worth) in paper and cardboard.
- Recycling will be collected each week, along with either the rubbish bag or rubbish bin.
- Place the recycling crates out on the roadside on collection day, before 8am.
Please refer to aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/collectionday for up-to-date collection information, including delays due to public holidays.